The STAND-LA Coordinator will work closely with and be directed by the STAND-LA Steering Committee, with supervision from the position’s employer PSR-LA.
The STAND-LA Coalition Coordinator will need to have a high-level of expertise, information and interpretive skills on the issues of oil extraction, air quality, health and environmental justice–which can be learned upon arrival. The coordinator is responsible for coalition operations and management, as well as campaign development and implementation. Specifically, duties will include the following:
- Coordinate and facilitate regular coalition meetings, calls and work group meeting including scheduling meetings, recording and distributing agendas/minutes, and ensuring assigned tasks are completed according to deadlines.
- Ensure implementation of coalition plans and campaign including tracking and evaluation.
- Support STAND-LA’s goals by working as a team member alongside the steering committee and coalition to meet project goals and objectives via work plans, etc.
- With support from coalition members, lead the planning and implementation of STAND-LA events and training workshops.
- Represent STAND-LA as its issue and policy expert in meetings, hearings and/or events with allies, policy makers, press, etc.
- Take a leadership role in developing relationships with relevant stakeholders, including potential coalition members, ally organizations and endorsers.
- Documentation of coalition activities and progress toward outcomes in reports to lead organization and steering committee, funders, and coalition members (where appropriate).
- 5+ years of experience working with coalitions, campaigns, policy advocacy and community organizing.
- Masters degree in Public Health or Public Policy is preferred; experience in lieu of education will be considered.
- Proven experience coordinating high-level campaigns, with a deep commitment to social and environmental justice.
- Knowledge of Los Angeles politics and city government policy-making process is a plus, but open to candidates who are ready to learn.
- Strong public speaking, writing and advocacy skills.
- Ability to work with different stakeholders, including community organizations, academic institutions, government officials, businesses, and youth.
- Interpersonal communication skills and the ability to build consensus with multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to analyze situations and develop strategic responses.
- Demonstrated experience working with community-based organizations, recent immigrant groups and people of color in general.
- Self-directed and organized; ability to work independently when necessary.
- Bilingual, English-Spanish, -Korean, etc. a plus.
Physicians for Social Responsibility – Los Angeles is a membership organization working towards system and policy changes to ensure that communities are healthy, safe, and equitable places to live, work, play and learn. In particular, PSR-LA works to protect public health from environmental health harm. By working with physicians, health professionals, and concerned residents we ensure that the medical community and policymakers are informed about environmental threats; advocate for safer practices and alternatives; build coalitions with local, state-wide, and national organizations; and support the ability for our members and allies to engage in meaningful public health and environmental advocacy.
Please submit a cover letter and resume for consideration to email@example.com. Start date is early August but applications will be continue to be accepted until the position is filled. Application deadline July 22, 2016