- Manage PSR-LA’s current suite of campaigns and projects related to climate change, adaptation, Climate policy and air quality :
- Engaging in the implementation of CA climate policies at the California Air Resources board and South Coast Air Quality Management District
- Strengthen PSR-LA’s work to build a strong statewide climate justice movement by working with our E.J. alias, and statewide coalitions and networks to promote a healthy and just transformation to a clean economy.
- Work with South LA partners to develop and implement a clean air strategy that will increase knowledge, awareness and mobilize groups and residents to improve air quality and promote just climate policies for SLA residents.
- Develop community science initiatives with our community and academic partners to support policy and community mobilization efforts
Please refer to our website for more information about specific projects
Other tasks will include:
- Working with ED and staff team to manage and grow PSR-LA’s current portfolio of advocacy related to climate and air quality at the regional and state level
- Contribute to securing funding opportunities;
- Increase capacity of community allies and partners to engage in effective climate justice and air quality policy in CA
- Establish a statewide network of communities impacted by oil and gas extraction
- Contribute to the development of a community and health professional education and outreach plan for each policy campaign
- Work closely with the organization’s health professional members and allies to elevate the public health perspective in our programmatic work;
- Represent PSR-LA at meetings, briefings, events and other policy venues;
- Conduct research on policy issues and trends;
- Write policy briefs, blog posts, print media pieces, press releases, and position papers;
- Manage climate and air quality grants, including developing proposals and reporting;
- Manage staff and volunteers.
- A graduate degree, preferably in Public Health, Sustainability, or related field. Candidates with over 5 years of experience in these fields will be considered in lieu of a degree ;
- At least 2 years leading projects and campaigns in a leadership position;
- Demonstrated experience in policy development and advocacy;
- Strong leadership and team facilitation skills, including ability to navigate diverse perspectives and stakeholders;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strategic, organized and results-oriented;
- Strong and dedicated commitment to social, environmental and racial justice;
- Demonstrated commitment to PSR-LA’s mission and values.
- Conversational fluency in a second language, preferably Spanish,
- Experience working in African American Communities
- Experience working with an elected officials;
- A long time resident of Los Angeles who is familiar with South and East Los Angele
Hours and Compensation
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits with guaranteed funding for one year with possibility for extension. Salary is commensurate with experience. Applicant must be available during regular business hours and some evenings/weekends. Job may require occasional travel within California and out of the state. Valid California driver’s license required. PSR-LA is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email (preferred), mail, or fax to:
Martha Dina Argüello, Executive Director
Physicians for Social Responsibility-Los Angeles
617 S. Olive St. #1100 | Los Angeles, CA 90014