Posted December 2012
Physicians for Social Responsibility-Los Angeles (PSR-LA) seeks a full time Health & Environment Program Associate to support to the implementation of PSR-LA’s programs, with a focus on climate change and healthy land use.
About the Organization
PSR-LA is a physician membership organization working towards system and policy changes to protect public health from nuclear threats and environmental degradation. Representing over 5,000 physicians, health professionals, and concerned residents in California, we inform the medical community and policymakers about toxic threats, teach them about safer practices, build coalitions with state-wide and national organizations, and strengthen local community organizations to engage in meaningful public health and environmental advocacy.
General Job Description
PSR-LA is seeking a motivated and creative individual to join our program work of preventing harm to human health and the environment by educating, mobilizing and engaging health professionals, community groups and advocates in policy advocacy. One of PSR-LA’s primary strategies to improve human health is to build a strong environmental health and justice movement that advocates for comprehensive solutions. By linking the credible voice of physicians with communities most affected by environmental contamination, PSR-LA combines our commitment to science, public health, advocacy and social justice to create change.
This position reports to the Executive Director and works as part of a team comprised of the Executive Director, Policy & Communications Director, and legal counsel. Specific responsibilities include: building and maintaining the organization’s relationships with community groups, policymakers and the health community; organizing and supporting community efforts to change local, regional or state policies that impact the health of residents; organizing educational forums, keeping up to date on research and data on the links between environmental exposures and health. In addition, the Program Associate will provide support to the Associate Director and the Membership & Communications Associate in marketing PSR-LA to internal and external stakeholders.
- College graduate with at least 3 years work experience. Master’s degree in related field preferred, experience will be considered in lieu of degree
- Excellent writing, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills
- Skilled public speaker
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
- Strong team player
- Robust knowledge of public health and environmental health concepts
- Familiar with qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Knowledge of popular education and adult learning concepts
- Bilingual and bicultural is a plus
- Provide day-to-day support for the implementation of the Environmental Health program focused on addressing climate change and infusing health considerations into land use decisions
- Assist in the collection of programmatic information needed to evaluate program outcomes and impact
- Conduct research on environmental health and environmental justice issues and keep informed on current trends
- Community Relations
- Maintain and strengthen PSR-LA’s role as a movement building organization by building and maintaining effective coalitions with environment, environmental justice, and health stakeholders
- Work with the Membership & Communications Associate and the Executive Director to promote the physician’s voice and at times speak on behalf of PSR-LA at events, meetings, and press conferences
- Participate and provide leadership to PSR-LA’s coalition partners on key environment and health issues
- Advocacy and Policy
- Support community efforts to educate decision makers about environmental health and justice issues
- Assist the Membership & Communications Associate with the production and dissemination of health and policy updates, fact sheets and action alerts to a wide range of stakeholders including PSR-LA members, the public, policy decision-makers, media, advocates, and allies
- Participate in policy and regulatory initiatives that align with PSR-LA’s overall mission as well as the environment and health program goals
- Organize meetings with legislators and public decision makers
Hours and Compensation
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits. Applicant must be available during regular business hours and some evenings/weekends. Job may require occasional travel within California and out of the state. Valid California driver’s license required. PSR-LA is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to [email protected]