Two hundred and sixty enthusiastic PSR members and supporters gathered at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel on October
26th to celebrate the accomplishments of four brilliant advocates for peace and environmental sustainability.
Highlights of the evening included:
• Special guest Ambassador Joseph Wilson spoke of his dismay when the Bush Administration leaked that his wife Valerie Plame was a C.I.A. operative—a felony offense. Sent to investigate claims that uranium ore was being transferred from Niger to Iraq, Ambassador Wilson reported that no such transports had taken place. President Bush nonetheless cited Iraqi uranium imports as a rationale for invasion in his State of the Union address.
• Film-maker Robert Greenwald, Peacemaker
gala, sharing a fifteen minute clip. This brilliant documentary, composed of testimony of military and intelligence officials, debunks the administration’s weapons-of-mass-destruction rationale for war in Iraq.
• Jazz legend Herbie Hancock performed an amazing fifteen-minute improvisation on the piano. He said, “I
play throughout the world. And I can tell you that the rest of the world today looks at the United States not with wonder but instead with fear and great anxiety.”
• Dr. Neal Baer, Socially Responsible Medicine Award winner, said that his mother would be thrilled that he was
being “honored by Dr. Helen Caldicott’s anization.” Baer is Executive Producer of the series “Law and Order:
Special Victims Unit,” and volunteers with Venice Family Clinic.
• Helen Thomas, a veteran of the White House press corps and Caldicott Award winner, catalogued the administration’s “horrifying dismantling” of great society reforms, foreign policy gaffes, and egregious relaxing of environmental protections.
• Actor Mike Farrell gave a glowing heartfelt introduction of this year’s courageous Healing the Planet Awardrecipient, Congresswoman Barbara Lee. Members lavished praise on the evening presentations. “Inspirational,” “exceptional,” and “the best ever” were among the superlatives. Can’t wait till next year.
“Uncovered: The Whole Truth About the Iraq War” the now renown documentary, which premiered at PSR-LA’s Gala Dinner, takes you behind the walls of government. Hear CIA, Pentagon and foreign service experts speak out, many for the first time, detailing the lies, misstatements and exaggerations that served as the reasons to fight a “preemptive”war that wasn’t necessary. Produced by this year’s PSR-LA Peacemaker Award recipient, Robert Greenwald, the film is taking the nation by storm. Now you have the chance to own a copy through PSR-LA. Donate $30, and PSR-LA will immediately send you a DVD in the mail. Call PSR-LA at (213) 386-4901 x112, or write [email protected].