Physicians for Social Responsibility – Los Angeles (PSR-LA) has experienced significant growth over the past two years and we are currently seeking a Communications Associate will work closely with PSR-LA’s management team, staff, and community partners to increase the visibility of PSR-LA and advance our goal of winning transformative policy change.
The communications associate will engage PSR-LA’s stakeholders by producing and distributing timely and strategic content for the organization’s multiple social media and digital organizing platforms and will inform its stakeholders about critical initiatives that move forward the organization’s core programmatic areas. The associate will collaborate with the management team and program teams to develop messaging campaigns that advance the mission of PSR-LA. The associate will also build relationships with traditional/earned media and place stories, with an emphasis on increasing the profile of priority initiatives at the forefront of statewide and national policy issues.
- Commitment to public health and social, environmental, and racial justice
- Familiarity with nonprofit organizations and the medical and public health communities preferred
- Strong interpersonal, written communication, and public speaking skills
- Demonstrated ability to write and edit clear, engaging, and grammatically correct content
- Demonstrated oral communication and interpersonal skills sufficient to convey information in a clear, concise way, synthesizing information and presenting it to others
- Experience using various social media platforms and knowledge of social media marketing and engagement strategies
- Strong visual eye, as well as graphic design and video/multimedia production skills (preferred)
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop, WordPress, Hootsuite, email marketing and digital organizing platforms; ability to learn new technological skills as needed
- Event planning and project management skills
- Ability to develop relationships with and pitch news stories to media
- Ability to work with coalitions partners on joint media strategies
- Proven skill at working in a collective environment, including interpersonal skills to interact sensitively with colleagues, students, community members, and workers from diverse social, cultural, and educational backgrounds
- Creative thinking and proven systematic organizational skills to work independently without supervision, determine workload priorities to complete work in a timely manner, and identify and resolve problems
- Demonstrated leadership and coordination skills, ability to work as part of a close-knit team, experience facilitating meetings
- Highly motivated, self-directed individual with strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize among multiple projects and plans
Education: Bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to communications, public relations, marketing, journalism, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, is required.
Employment Status: Full-Time Exempt Salaried
Location: The position is based in Los Angeles, CA. We are temporarily working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic, however, qualified applicants should reside in the Metro Los Angeles region and be able to work in a Los Angeles-based office when social distancing restrictions are lifted.
Compensation: Salary ranging from $55,000 – $65,000 based on experience. PSR-LA offers a robust benefits package that includes employer-paid healthcare, dental, vision premiums for employees and dependents, as well as paid time off, professional development, and staff wellness benefits.
Preferred Start Date: June/July 2021
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, writing sample, and resume for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org. Combine all documents into one PDF. Please no calls. Applications submitted only via social platforms like LinkedIn and Facebook will not be considered.
This position is open until filled. PSR-LA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, BIPOC and LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Physicians for Social Responsibility – Los Angeles (PSR-LA)
PSR-LA is a physician membership organization focused on supporting environmental justice communities and promoting policies centered on the needs of frontline communities. For over a decade PSR-LA has worked with a broad range of community-based organizations, health professionals and residents who are impacted by the cumulative impacts of racism, poverty, and pollution. Focusing specifically on issues of toxic chemicals, air pollution, healthy land uses, equitable development, and the threats posed by nuclear weapons, PSR-LA provides health education, research, and policy solutions and we engage a wide range of groups, communities, and health professionals. Our work builds power for collective action to protect human health and the environment.
The majority of PSR-LA staff members are people of color and for the last 20 years, our growth has been led by a woman of color. Our work is deeply aligned with the environmental justice movement and we are emerging as a strong public health voice for a just transition from the COVID-19 pandemic and the climate crisis. Our collective work to build a more caring, restorative economy demonstrates how the health voice can support the creation of resilient communities.