Physicians for Social Responsibility-Los Angeles (PSR-LA) seeks a part-time or full-time Intern to collaborate with staff in program implementation, membership building, organizational development, and office administration. This position will benefit individuals interested in learning about PSR-LA’s dynamic programs, the fundraising initiatives on which they depend, and non-profit management.
About the Organization
PSR-LA is a physician and health advocate membership organization working towards system and policy changes to protect public health from nuclear threats and environmental degradation. Representing over 4,000 physicians, health professionals, and concerned residents in Southern California, we inform the medical community and policymakers about toxic threats, teach them about safer practices, build coalitions with state-wide and national organizations, and strengthen local community organizations to engage in meaningful public health and environmental advocacy.
We share a responsibility with other physicians, health advocates and policymakers to create solutions that improve the health and environment for all Californians. We combine our commitment to science, public health, advocacy and social justice to accomplish this. Visit www.psr-la.org learn more.
Qualifications and Desired Skills
- Recent college graduate or current student with an interest in peace and security issues and/or environmental health and justice
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, database programs, internet research
- Previous experience in applied research
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong organization and project management abilities
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives without supervision
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide staff support for program planning and implementation
- Maintain membership and donor database, plan development activities
- Assist with foundation grants and reports
- Design and produce publications
- Review and answer correspondence, including distributing mail and email
- Coordinate with vendors, visitors, and volunteers
- Take notes and minutes at meetings and other related duties as requested
Hours and Compensation
This position requires a minimum commitment of 15 hours per week during regular business hours and/or some evenings/weekends. This is an unpaid internship. PSR-LA may coordinate with academic programs to provide credit if available.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email (preferred), mail, or fax to:
Ana Mascareñas | Physicians for Social Responsibility-Los Angeles
617 S. Olive St. #200 | Los Angeles, CA 90014