BPA (bisphenol-A) is a hormone-disrupting chemical found in many products we use everyday. It contaminates children’s food and drink when it leaches from plastic products like baby bottles and sippy cups. AB 1319, authored by Assemblymember Betsy Butler, will protect California’s children by eliminating BPA from baby bottles and sippy cups.
A diverse coalition of health professionals, scientists, parents, and reproductive health and justice advocates supported this measure because it is one important step towards protecting children from exposure to BPA, a synthetic estrogen that has been linked to breast and prostate cancer, infertility, obesity, neurological and behavioral changes, autism and hyperactivity — more than 200 peer-reviewed studies have shown links to harm.
PSR-LA has long advocated of preventing exposure to BPA, particularly for children, and we co-sponsored a similar measure last year. Read about PSR-LA’s work to pass SB 797 (Pavley) to limit children’s exposure to BPA. Other organizational sponsors of this year’s AB 1319 include Environmental Working Group, Black Women for Wellness, and Consumers Union.
Fact Sheet & Support Letter
See the AB 1319 fact sheet from Assemblymember Butler’s website
AB1319_Sample_Support (Word document)
Current Status of AB 1319
AB 1319 has passed the legislature and has been signed into law by Governor Jerry Brown.
In The News
- Toxin Free Infants and Toddlers Act Passes the Senate (Ms. Magazine – subscription) August 31, 2011.
- BPA ban passes California state senate (LA Times) August 30, 2011.
- California Closer to Banning BPA in Baby Bottles(Capital Public Radio) August 30, 2011.
- Senate Passes Ban in BPA Plastic Baby Products(Sacramento Bee) August 30, 2011.
- Banning BPA in Baby Products (NBC Los Angeles) July 11, 2011.
Supporter List (Partial)
- US Senator Dianne Feinstein
- Physicians for Social Responsibility–Los Angeles (sponsor)
- Environmental Working Group (sponsor)
- Black Women for Wellness (sponsor)
- Consumers Union, publishers of Consumer Reports (sponsor)
- Alliance of California Autism Organizations
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)
- Asian Communities for Reproductive Justice
- Autism One
- Autism Research Institute
- Breast Cancer Fund
- California League of Conservation Voters
- California Medical Association
- California Nurses Association
- California WIC Association
- Center For Environmental Health
- CHANGE (Californians for a Healthy & Green Economy
- Children Now
- Clear Water Action
- County of Santa Clara Board of Supervisors
- County of Solano Board of Supervisors
- EcoMom Alliance
- Environment California
- First 5 LA
- Food & Water Watch
- Green to Grow
- Great Beginnings for Black Babies
- Healthy Child Healthy World
- Making Our Milk Safe (MOMS)
- Moms Advocating Sustainability
- Mothers of Marin Against the Spray
- Natural Resource Defense Council
- Reproductive Justice Coalition
- Reproductive Justice Association of L.A.
- SF Environment
- Sierra Club of California
- Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition
- St. John‟s Well Child and Family Center
- Teens Turning Green
- US Autism & Asperger Association