Speak Out on Nuclear Weapons
Here are some suggested talking points you can use:
- Just one nuclear bomb detonated anywhere in the world will affect everyone on the planet and have unimaginable human, environmental and economic consequences.
- Right now, President Obama is making critical decisions about U.S. nuclear weapons and the threats that every American faces, as part of a comprehensive nuclear policy review the administration is conducting. The review is expected to be completed by March 1.
- President Obama can make all Americans safer by de-emphasizing nuclear weapons in our security policy.
- Nuclear weapons don’t make us safer, they are a liability for us.
- The potential spread of nuclear weapons dramatically increases the chances of a nuclear war or nuclear materials getting into the hands of terrorists.
- Nuclear weapons cannot help us stop nuclear terrorism; the only way to stop nuclear terrorism is to lock down and eliminate nuclear materials.
- The Nuclear Posture Review should include:
- A commitment and plan to deep cuts in global nuclear arsenals.
- A declaration that as we move towards these deep cuts, the sole purpose of nuclear weapons is to deter their use by another country.
- A plan to take our nuclear forces off dangerous “Launch on Warning” status, which could lead to a catastrophic accidental or unintentional launch; and
- A pledge not to produce any new types of nuclear weapons, as are currently contemplated by the Pentagon to upgrade our allegedly aging weapons stockpile.
- A “no first use” policy that the United States will not launch a preemptive nuclear strike.
Take Action Now!
- Send a letter to the editor using PSR-LA’s e-advocacy tools.
- You can also use these talking points to send a message directly to President Obama by clicking here whitehouse.gov