PSR-LA | Feb 08, 2010
In the next two weeks, President Obama will decide the administration’s direction and priorities on nuclear weapons issues, and perhaps the fate of the world, when he finalizes the Nuclear Posture Review (NPR). You can help him make the right decisions by writing a letter to the editor or submitting an op-ed to your local paper to explain how the NPR will set the direction for U.S. nuclear weapons policy for the next 5-10 years, and that the administration must seize this opportunity to take a global leadership role and make the United States and the world much safer.
Here are some suggested talking points you can use:
- Just one nuclear bomb detonated anywhere in the world will affect everyone on the planet and have unimaginable human, environmental and economic consequences.
- Right now, President Obama is making critical decisions about U.S. nuclear weapons and the threats that every American faces, as part of a comprehensive nuclear policy review the administration is conducting. The review is expected to be completed by March 1.
- President Obama can make all Americans safer by de-emphasizing nuclear weapons in our security policy.
- Nuclear weapons don’t make us safer, they are a liability for us.
- The potential spread of nuclear weapons dramatically increases the chances of a nuclear war or nuclear materials getting into the hands of terrorists.
- Nuclear weapons cannot help us stop nuclear terrorism; the only way to stop nuclear terrorism is to lock down and eliminate nuclear materials.
- The Nuclear Posture Review should include:
- A commitment and plan to deep cuts in global nuclear arsenals.
- A declaration that as we move towards these deep cuts, the sole purpose of nuclear weapons is to deter their use by another country.
- A plan to take our nuclear forces off dangerous “Launch on Warning” status, which could lead to a catastrophic accidental or unintentional launch; and
- A pledge not to produce any new types of nuclear weapons, as are currently contemplated by the Pentagon to upgrade our allegedly aging weapons stockpile.
- A “no first use” policy that the United States will not launch a preemptive nuclear strike.
Take Action Now!
- Send a letter to the editor using PSR-LA’s e-advocacy tools.
- You can also use these talking points to send a message directly to President Obama by clicking here whitehouse.gov
About the Author: