Denise | Apr 10, 2012
Rep. Ed Markey (D-MA) introduced a bill in February 2012 that would cut $100 billion dollars from nuclear weapons programs over the next 10 years.
- Cut the current fleet of nuclear submarines from 12 to 8 operational at sea ($3 billion savings),
- Delay the purchase of new nuclear submarines ($17 billion savings),
- Reduce the number of land-based nuclear missiles, or ICBMs ($6 billion savings),
- End the nuclear missions of air bombers (up to $17 billion savings),
- Delay a new nuclear-capable bomber program ($18 billion savings), and
- Cancel new, wasteful nuclear weapons facilities ($15 billion savings) – these facilities include the MOX fuel facility, the CMRR-NF plutonium pit facility, and the UPF facility for uranium processing.
In addition, the Congressional Progressive Caucus (CPC) “Budget for All” is a realistic budget that provides a strong vision for the future of our nation. The CPC incorporated the entire SANE Act in their budget this year. PSR has been working with Rep. Ed. Markey on this vital legislation.
Check here to see if your representative has co-sponored the SANE act, and if not, urge them to do so!
Call your representative through the capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121. Here is a suggested message:
“My name is ___ and I live in ____. I am calling to ask Rep. ____ to cosponsor H.R. 3974, the SANE Act, to cut wasteful nuclear weapons spending.”
Please call your representative right now and make sure they hear from you before voting on the federal budget!
About the Author: