Position Available: Part-Time Program Associate
Physicians for Social Responsibility-Los Angeles (PSR-LA) seeks a part-time program associate for its Land Use & Health program to provide support in program implementation, research and data analysis, and some limited administrative activities. This position will benefit individuals interested in learning the connections between industry, land use and health, as well as public policy decisions. The primary focus of the work will be exploring policy interventions to the challenge of incompatible land uses in South Central Los Angeles, as well as researching the impact of industrial sources of pollution on community and individual health through data collection and community engagement.
The Land Use & Health program is focused on assessing and influencing the severity of contamination and pollution by light and heavy industry in the South Central Los Angeles community. The goal of the program is to work with affected communities, local decision-makers and regulatory agencies to ensure the health and quality of life for South LA residents by reducing, and eventually eliminating exposure to toxic land and air contaminants present on sites affected by past and current industrial uses, while promoting healthy uses of land.
Qualifications and Desired Skills
- Recent college graduate with a strong understanding of the intersection of land use, industry and health
- Previous experience in applied research
- Demonstrated commitment to social, environmental and racial justice
- Strong organizational and project management abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives without supervision
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, database programs, internet research
Tasks and Responsities
- Research policy interventions in collaboration with advocates and community stakeholders
- Manage and facilitate a policy working group to advocate for potential land use policy solutions
- Conduct research on industrial contamination and specific health outcomes
- Proofread and edit report material and supporting documentation. May include writing of original material
- Provide general staff support for program planning and implementation
Hours and Compensation
This position requires a commitment of 20 hours per week during regular business hours (Monday-Friday, 9-5PM). Compensation is $18/hour. Position will be re-evaluated after 12 months, with possibility to extend employment.
Please submit a cover letter and resume for consideration to Monika Shankar email@example.com. Start date is March 1st, but applications will be continue to be accepted until the position is filled. Application deadline is February 15th, 2017