Position Available: Heath and Air Associate
Physicians for Social Responsibility-Los Angeles (PSR-LA) seeks a full time Air Quality & Health Program Associate to support the implementation of PSR-LA’s Air & Health program. The Program focuses on regional air pollution policies, elimination of urban oil and gas extraction, and rapid transition away from use of fossil fuels for energy. PSR-LA is seeking a motivated and creative individual to join our team.
This position reports to our General Counsel, who directs our Air & Health Program work. Specific responsibilities include: building and maintaining the organization’s relationships with physicians, community groups, policymakers and the broader health community; supporting efforts to change or build local, regional or state policies that impact the health of residents; organizing educational forums; keeping up to date on research on the links between outdoor air pollution and health; developing materials and giving presentations that effectively explain and highlight the connections between outdoor air pollution, health and policy alternatives.
- College graduate with at least 3 years work experience. Master’s degree in related field preferred, experience in lieu of degree will be considered
- Excellent writing, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills
- Skilled public speaker
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
- Strong team player
- Robust knowledge of air policy or environmental health concepts
- Familiar with qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Knowledge of popular education and adult learning concepts
- Bilingual and bicultural is a plus
- Provide day-to-day support for the implementation of the Air & Health Program
- Assist in the collection of programmatic information needed to evaluate program outcomes and impact
- Conduct research on air policies, environmental health, and environmental justice issues and keep informed on current trends
- Maintain and strengthen PSR-LA’s role as technical assistance provider and support for robust coalitions by building and maintaining effective relationships with environment, environmental justice, and health stakeholders
- Work with the Membership & Communications Associate and the Executive Director to develop materials to support membership development
- Speak on behalf of PSR-LA at events, meetings, and press conferences
Advocacy and Policy
- Support efforts to educate decision makers about air quality issues and their connections to environmental health and justice issues
- Assist with the production and dissemination of health and policy updates, fact sheets, action alerts and other written material to a wide range of stakeholders including PSR-LA members, the public, policy decision-makers, media, advocates, and allies using both conventional and new media tools
- Participate in air policy and regulatory initiatives that align with PSR-LA’s overall mission
- Participate with and provide leadership to PSR-LA’s coalition partners on key air policy and health issues
- Organize meetings with legislators, public decision makers, allies, and others as needed
This is a salaried position with benefits. Applicant must be available during regular business hours and some evenings/weekends. Job may require occasional travel within California and out of the state. Valid California driver’s license required. PSR-LA is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No Calls. Position open until filled.