Membership & Communications Associate Position Available
Physicians for Social Responsibility-Los Angeles (PSR-LA) seeks a temporary, part-time Membership & Communications Associate to collaborate with staff in program implementation, membership building, organizational development, and office administration.
About the Organization
PSR-LA is a physician and health advocate membership organization working towards system and policy changes to protect public health from nuclear threats and environmental degradation. Representing over 4,000 physicians, health professionals, and concerned residents in Southern California, we inform the medical community and policymakers about toxic threats, teach them about safer practices, build coalitions with state-wide and national organizations, and strengthen local community organizations to engage in meaningful public health and environmental advocacy.
We share a responsibility with other physicians, health advocates and policymakers to create solutions that improve the health and environment for all Californians. We combine our commitment to science, public health, advocacy and social justice to accomplish this.
Qualifications and Desired Skills
- College graduate or current student with an interest in peace and security issues and/or environmental health and justice
- Strong writing skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, database programs, internet research
- Previous experience in applied research
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives without supervision
- Bilingual English/Spanish speaking and writing preferred
- Must have a valid CA drivers license
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Maintain membership and donor database, plan development activities including physician training and fundraising events
- Coordinate newsletters, press releases, and advocacy action alerts
- Design and produce publications as needed
- Review and answer correspondence, including distributing mail and email
- Coordinate with vendors, visitors, and volunteers
- Support PSR senior staff with gala dinner planning and sponsorships
Hours and Compensation
This is a 6-month, 20 hours per week position with the possibility of extension. Hourly rate based on qualifications and experience. Applicant must be available during regular business hours and some evenings/weekends.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email (preferred), mail, or fax to:
Martha Dina Argüello, Physicians for Social Responsibility-Los Angeles
617 S. Olive St. #200, Los Angeles, CA 90014